KTA migration
KTA migration


+61 3 9674 3670

Parent & Other Family

Miss your family?

KTA Migration will help bring them here

New Parent Visa Subclass 870 – Temporary

Applications for the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (Subclass 870) opened on 1 July 2019. This visa allows parents to reunite with children and grandchildren by visiting Australia for up to 3 or 5 years per visa with the opportunity to apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia of 10 years. You cannot work in Australia under this visa.

There is no balance of family test or Assurance of Support requirements for this visa. You must have an approved Sponsor to apply for this visa. You must have, or have access to, enough money to support yourself while you are in Australia. You must have and maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance from an Australian Health Insurance provider or under the Reciprocal Healthcare Agreement (RHCA) with Australia. You must meet Health and Character Requirements. You must have met and complied with any previous visa obligations.

This is a temporary visa. This visa does not lead to permanent residence in Australia.

The costs of this visa are AUD$420 for Sponsorship; and AUD$5,000 for a visa up to 3 years or AUD$10,000 for a visa up to 5 years. Payment is split into 2 instalments with AUD$1,000 being paid at time of lodgement and the remaining amount (AUD$4,000 or AUD$9,000) being paid prior to your application being processed.

You must be outside Australia when you apply for the visa (unless you have Permission to Apply in Australia for your renewal of this visa). You can be in or outside Australia when the application is decided. Processing times are 51 – 62 days based on the 1 application that has been lodged and processed to date.


Contributory Parent

You may be eligible for a Contributory Parent visa if you meet the balance of family test and have an eligible and settled child in Australia to sponsor you.

Department lodgement fees are high though wait times are much faster than the Aged Parent visa program.


Aged Parent

You may be eligible for an Aged Parent visa if you meet the age requirement; the balance of family test; and have an eligible and settled child in Australia to sponsor you.

Department lodgement fees are much lower though processing times are significant.


Child; Dependent Child; Adoption; Orphan Relative; Remaining Relative; and Family Sponsored Visitor

Contact KTA Migration to discuss these further visa options.



This information relates to Subclass 143, 173, 864 and 884; Subclass 101, 102, 117, 445, 802 and 837; Subclass 116 and 836; Subclass 835; and Subclass 600 visas. Please contact KTA Migration for migration advice specific to your circumstances.